Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Jazz sweater is done! I needed to redo the bottoms of the sleeves with a slightly smaller needle, as they seemed too long and too wide. I am very pleased with how it came out.

Sunday, January 25, 2009


I'm looking for a copy of Blues (in English or that you can translate into English) that you'd like to trade for a different Hanne pattern that I have. Anyone get it for Xmas and finish it already? Trading patterns is perfectly legal, by the way before someone jumps on this and talks about stealing. Early on someone from Hanne's organization had a post confirming this, by the way.

If anyone is interested, please contact me off-line at elweyu@hotmail.com

Thanks and everyone's projects look fabulous. I've just finished Gloria and I love the way it came out. If I ever get a camera ...

Friday, January 23, 2009

Ballerina Done

I have finally finished my Ballerina. I had to do some steeking to adjust the size. I also added and applied i-Cord around the edge. I enjoyed knitting this wonderful design but am glad it is done and ready to wear.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

La Strada

HI All

I've just joined your group and am looking forward to see what everyone is working on. I got 2 kits for Christmas, La Strada and Gloria. I cast on La Strada the other day and can see that this will take a whild, but it will be gorgeous!


Friday, January 16, 2009

Mermaid Shawl Collar

I was asked (quite a long time ago, I'm sorry!) for how I did my Mermaid collar. Here is as best as I can remember. Ask if you have questions.

I did the provisional cast on for the sweater at the Color A stripe AFTER the decrease for the shoulder (23 sts for size medium.) I started knitting on the right side so it matched up on the other end of the sweater. I then knit the sweater to just before you cast on the stitches for the other shoulder. Pin or sew the shoulders together at this point. I picked up the stitches across the back neck (46 for a medium) and knit both sides at the same time. That eliminated the back neck seam.

I don't have exact information on how I did the shawl collar as it is in the hands of its intended victim so I can't look at it to reconstruct my method. I placed markers on both sides as deep as I wanted the collar. I started on the center 80-90 stitches and started doing short rows until all of the stitches between the markers were used up. That gave me a collar about 7 inches deep at the widest.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

MiMi, part two

Hi All,

I'm just about to frog part of this again... for the 3rd time. I've gotten myself hung up on these dratted texture stripes. Reading the swatch instructions, it gives an indication that 16 texture stripes gives more or less the 10 cm, and that the 16 texture stripes should be 48 rows.

But then below, it says that a texture stripe is seen as three rows knit and three rows purl.

Long story short -- I'd come to the second row of decreases, looked at the completed work, and thought.. that's way too small. So I ripped it out with the idea that a texture stripe should be 6 rows, and I'm almost back up to the 13 texture stripes. But at this point, I've nearly reached 16 cm... which is way too large. Then I looked at the actual dimensions of the finished garment, and realized I was right the first time.

Considering it takes me nearly 20 minutes to knit one of the rows (before any decreases occur), I'm seriously considering stuffing this thing in the closet and leaving it there for awhile.
-- Laurie