Saturday, August 25, 2007

Ballerina Yardage

Hi all -- I just received my kit a few days ago, and took a minute to weigh the yarn and do some basic figuring, as I had seen some requests for this info.

My kit is the 2-color S/M or M/L version. All totalled, I have 204 grams (7-1/4 ounces) of the contrast color, and 381 grams (13-1/2 ounces) of the main color.

Using the 2-ply Shetland wool available at Schoolhouse press for weight/yardage comparison, that means I have about 1,000 yards of contrast color and 2,000 yards of main color. Sounds about right.

This is my best guess-timate; hope it is helpful for those of you trying to substitute yarn. I do think the yarn that comes with the kit is fairly scratchy, but I am trying to withhold judgement until I can see the finished product.

2 comments:

Joan K said...

Thanks for the information. I am waiting for my Ballerina kit. I'm going to use Kauni yarn first and then make another in the original yarn. Can you share the desired gauge for me? I want to start swatching before the kit arrives. Thanks! Joan

robin-m said...

Sure! -- From the instruction sheet: "25 stitches and 50 rows in garter stitch on 3mm needles = 10 X 10 cm."