Sunday, February 10, 2008

Promenade is complete



I finally managed to complete Promenade - took me a while due to trips away and other commitments but I did get there eventually. The shawl loosened and softened beautifully when washed in warm, soapy water and then rinsed with fabric conditioner. It had its first outing this morning to a pretty chilly church where I was leading worship - kept me very warm and kept my hands free for playing guitar. Always handy...
Sorry these photos aren't of Promenade being modelled on a real person. My husband is rarely around when it's good light and I wanted to capture the colours in sunshine to show them at their magnificent best.
Not sure what's next. I have a few more HF kits stored in my cupboard - Tivoli, Ping Pong, Diva and I'm sure I'll do another Mermaid - but I may have a break and do something which grows a little more quickly (and with somewhat shorter rows than Promenade!)

7 comments:

Becky said...

Beautiful work!!! It looks great, and the colors are wonderful.

fiberfanatic said...

That is stunning! Just absolutely beautiful!

- Sandi - said...

Gorgeous!

Linda said...

Just WOW! It's fabulous! I'm very tempted to try the same one myself now that I've seen how beautiful it is. Is it easy enough to do while watching tv or having a conversation? Also, is it knit in two pieces? Thanks..LInda

Ros Ritchie said...

It's easy enough to knit watching TV and having a conversation all at the same time (that's what I did often...) Apart from casting on, picking up stitches (which is easier than average due to the chain effect edge stitches) and doing the three needle bind offs which need a little concentration, simply arm yourself with some stitch markers and keep track of the colours (which is really easy - just check against the chart every so often) and it is not at all tricky. Just a bit time-consuming per row due to the number of "live" stitches you have on the go at any one time.

It is knit in sections. You knit the back of the shawl first, then pick up side stitches and cast on and you have the right front. And then you do the same again for the left front so you actually only have one piece in the needles - it just grows with each section you knit. Each front piece starts on the outside of the shawl and you work in - once you have your heard round that concept, it becomes much clearer how it is all supposed to hang together.

What's great is that you don't have lots of seaming to do. A few ends to sew in before adding the border on each front section but nothing too onerous.

Once you get going, you fall into a rhythm with it. And it's really only every other row you have to concentrate much at all. And if you come up against any issues (and I doubt you will) just post your questions and I'll do my best to help.

Enjoy!

Sallyp said...

Ros,

I did ask you on one of your other postings if you could help me with the mermaid?? Please can you assist me as I am stuck. I did ask Amy for the spreadsheet but I still have not heard from her. I really need help now and I have done my own spreadsheet but there is something on the shoulder which does not make sense. Are you able to assist me??

Ros Ritchie said...

Hi Sallyp - I'll try and help if I can. Sorry if I missed your earlier request for help. I must be getting old and senile...:-) Ask away