Monday, May 01, 2006
First Ballerina Finished ....
After a bumpy start I finally finished my first Hanne Falkenberg kit the Ballerina. I made a few modifications but relatively minor. The bottom stitching which is like a mock ribbing sort of just did not look right and it looked a bit unfinished so I added an inch of solid black border. Then the sleeves were way too short so I added some striping there. I also did not like the solid "sage color" band around the neck so I striped that. But other than those few modifications I followed the pattern and it turned out pretty well.
I also knitted a potato chip scarf to go with the sweater with black and sage one row edge. This is not attached to the sweater it is optional. I wear it if it's cold and my neck seems too cold with no collar.
I didn't think the little bit of black yarn I had left over was enough so I sent an eMail to Hanne (from the contact link on her site) I tried to get an extra ball of black yarn, and got firm NEGATIVE. (I think I upset her to even dare to ask.) She was probably upset about the modifications.
She does not sell yarn!
Only the Kit!
So if I want an extra ball of yarn I have to buy a new kit!
A bit too pricey to buy a whole kit just for one ball of black, but as it turned out the knitting angels were with me and I had enough yarn.
When I first started this project I had a very difficult time reading the instructions. I felt that at least they could have done is put more spaces and use a larger font after all this was not a cheap kit. How much would another piece of paper cost them? When I first looked at the instructions I got scared. The photo copy of the pages was very difficult for me to read, the font they use is very small and there is no break visually it really looks like "buckle your seatbelt it's going to be a bumpy ride" (I always loved that line from that old movie) kind of pattern.
I had to copy each section and bump up the size of the font. But maybe it's just my age, I wear reading glasses. Then I had difficulty in the short rows because I have never done short rows before. The front was frogged twice but when I finally got that there were two differrent short rows goig on I figured it all out. Actually I have only been following written patterns for about 2 years. I've knit all my life but never learned how to read a patterns. It always looked too confusing, I knit from a visual then added my own spin, sort of like how I cook. I read the recipe and then cook my version.
I love the small needles and the garter stitch and the design is very nice. I've had lots of compliments when I wear it. I'm knitting this pattern again but I've made some modifications. I don't like the way the sweater is back heavy, as I wear it, it's a constant struggle to pull it back up, it likes to slip backwards sort of like a Japanese kimono. Probably the design is meant to do that but for me it's annoying. Also the front seems too short which adds to the weight in the back. I should have looked at the pattern more closely, it looked great on the model but she is a third my age.
The new one I'm knitting I've made the front longer and took out panels from the back. It still has the same "swing" look but it stays put and covers my stomach area. I'm progressing nicely I'll post the second Ballerina progress.