Saturday, April 29, 2006

Lastrada coming together...

When I first saw Lastrada I loved it, all the more so because it was available in large sizes. I couldn't wait until the kit arrived from Kangaroo in England, and when I opened it up, my first reaction was disappointment. The colors of the yarn didn't look at all like the colors on the screen. They were much more muted and earthy than the colors on my monitor - or, for that matter, the colors on the photo that came with the kit. What I thought would be blue (maybe because it was called "blueberry" ) was actually gray, and what I thought would be a light camel-ish is a very dark brownish yellow. But the colors seem to work together, so I plunged ahead.

My second moment of horror came when the instructions started with "Cast on 501 stitches." 501??? It wasn't a misprint - the sweater is made in two pieces, with the front, sleeve, and half the back on each part. You cast on the stitches across the bottom (front and half the back) plus the stitches that form the vertical front edge. The design is brilliant... but at no time could I visualize how this was going to fit together! Only after I got to the first sleeve and was struggling to figure out the directions was I able to try it on and see that it was going to work.

Now I am a little nervous that the whole sweater will be too big. Do you think that washing it in hot water could make it shrink a little but not too much? Say about 2" (length and width)? I would try it with a test swatch, but at this point I don't know what color yarn I might have left over and don't want to risk running out of anything. On the other hand, the idea of frogging something so big is pretty horrible to contemplate. Any advice would be appreciated.

4 comments:

MissLucy said...

I just washed my Mermaid a bit recklessly the other day, which resulted in some shrinkage. 30 degrees celcius, machine wash, gentle wool cycle with (too much) detergent made the fabric a bit denser an it shrunk some. But I'm not sure I would recommend it, because I came dangerously close to felting it. Previously when I have handwashed and blocked it, it has actually stretched a bit, so I was surprised to find shrinkage.

Denise/CT said...

I too am knitting the Lastrada. Have you started the sleeves yet? Is your sleeve seam right under the arm or off set a bit? I think I may have a problem......but then it could be a design feature to move the shoulder seam back a half inch towards the back. I'll keep knitting for now, may be frogging soon.

Reluctant Penguin said...

I am about 6 inches into the first sleeve. I think it lines up, but I am still having trouble visualizing how the whole thing fits together, so I can't be positive. Did you make sure you had the correct number of stitches at the point where you separated the sleeve? I did have to cheat a little and adjust by 2 or 3 stitches -- I must have screwed up a few decreases in the main section.

Denise/CT said...

I recounted those stitches more than once! Ha, Ha...I even use stitch markers. If you are 6 inches into the sleeve, you should be able to see how it lines up...looks like I may be frogging this sleeve and starting over. Your cast on makes up your front placket edge as well as your back center seam. The decreases are your "side seam", which is why the sleeve is picked up at that point. Then there is the shoulder seam, and the jog up there is the neck line. Have I confused you further? Hope not. I'll post a picture of my progress soon. Thanks for the info.