Saturday, September 09, 2006

Ballerina Beginning

Greetings from Amman. Here is the beginning of my Ballerina jacket. I received this at the end of May for my birthday, but I wanted to take it to Jordan with me. It was very difficult to resist knitting this after I finished the Mermaid a few months ago. I started this jacket in California. I wanted the first few ridges to be done there. I made great progress waiting at the airport, and was several ridges into it before I realized Hanne was being funny, and put in an extra comment that lead me to knit most of this wrong. On one ridge the instructions are to do short rows, and to turn and YO 2 stitches before the previous YO. The next ridge, which we are supposed to do for a long time, instructs us to repeat the previous row, but "...on each ridge turn 2 sts earlier than on the previous." Thus, I turned 4 stitches before, not two. Turns out she was kidding! Ha! I frogged most of this early this morning, save the first two ridges, and re-knit all day. Not bad progress for a day of frogging/knitting. I know it's been said before, but I'll say it again: for this much money these patterns could be written MUCH better.

5 comments:

fiberfanatic said...

How frustrating, Frances! What colorway are you using?

Mary

Ana Petrova said...

Frances, the first Ballerina I knit I did the same exact thing! I frogged that think 2 times before I realized what the problem was.

But at the end it is really a nice sweater.

You know Amy is working on a spreadsheet for the Ballerina. You might get in touch with her.

Ana Petrova said...

Oh you might check out the thread I started on Knitter's Review under "worst project nightmare"

http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47274

November 2005, but since then I've knitted two more. Once I realized the "bug" it was easy. The way that pattern is written ..... shish.....it's a tuff one.

فرانسيس said...

Oh, I'm so glad it's not just me! I'm knitting colorway number 1, the black and sage. You couldn't tell from my lovley pictures? I just couldn't get a good picture with the light I'm working with.
I already love the knitted fabric, and the short rows and stripes make a really pleasing shape, but gad these are frusterating, and I'm a pretty experienced knitter.

Anonymous said...

I hold my breath each time I start a new section, hoping that I'm interpreting the direcetions correctly. I've been putting in a lifeline at the end of each section, once I'm sure it's turned out right. So far haven't had to use, fortunately. I'm on the last part of the first sleeve, where it joins back up with the stitches from the holder. Now that I can see it really taking shape, it's very exciting. The directions are lousy, but the design concept is genius.