Wednesday, February 14, 2007

My Mermaid update

I think I last posted shortly after I started Mermaid (#3 colorway) in October. Some of you are so fast at knitting Mermaid that I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I'm still not done. I've had other projects to do, though, so I haven't been able to devote all of my knitting time to Mermaid.

As of today, I only have one sleeve left to knit. I finished sleeve #1 last night and then started on sleeve #2 immediately. I'm hoping to finish Mermaid completely by the end of this month. I didn't carry colors along through the gussets, so even though I wove in the ends as as I knit, I do have quite a bit of neatening to do besides the blocking and sewing. I'll be sure to post a final pic when I get there.

I have to thank Amy once more for the fabulous spreadsheet she put together for Mermaid. I couldn't have knit the pattern without it. For a while, I thought I would have to work out the sleeve instructions myself. After spending a couple hours trying to figure them out, I was quite relieved to find that a version of the spreadsheet with the sleeves was available.

There are several other Hanne Falkenberg designs that I like, such as Tivoli, Diva and Tweedie. However, I'm just not willing to give them a try unless I know the instructions are better than the ones that came with Mermaid. Are all HF patterns written the same way?

1 comment:

Petunia Honeysuckle said...

I am somewhere in the middle of Diva, and it's a really great pattern, so far I haven't experienced any problems. My main issue is gauge, and that's my own fault, it has nothing to do with Ms Falkenberg's instructions.

On the the Diva pattern: the left and right sides are written out explicitly, there is no confusion reversing sides. I anticipated asking many questions here, yet have only progress to show :)