Thursday, September 27, 2007

Swatching the ballerina

swatching is a good thing, that's for sure! I found out the recommended needles for ballerina were too big (TOO BIG?!)for my personal tension. So now I'm swatching with a size 1 needle to see what happens. I hope this will be right. This is the first time I've ever been really concerned about gauge. But I want this sweater to fit!

Do you other "ballerina makers" think the needle size is off, or is it just my knitting tension?

I lied by the way. I'm not done with Christmas presents yet, but I can't stand it. I really want to start Ballerina, NOW. So if I at least determine what needles to use, I feel like I'm starting the project.... :.p

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I knit very tight but found that a size 3 needle was good for me. The gauge is very important.

Elaine said...

I also found it impossible to get the guage with the suggested needle size and needed to go down to a 1 and generally I knit just to guage.

Anonymous said...

I knit quite loose, especially on stockinette/garter stitch when distracted, and made the size large Mermaid on US size 1 needles. It fits me pretty well, with some sleeve shortening, but I'm an XL.

Aim said...

Thanks for the input y'all!

Anne said...

It's looking like I may need to go to a size 3 needles for my Ballerina. The swatch on 2s was perfect but the real thing is looking way too tight. I may block it when I have the front finished and see if it loosens up.

Anonymous said...

I just started my Ballerina and discovered I needed to use a size 3.25 mm needle instead of a 3.0 mm needle. I'm glad I did my gauge swatch!